1. a. When was the Earth created according to 18th Century theologians?
b. How old is the Earth according to 18th Century theologians?
2. Who was the Father of Geology? Where and when did he live?
3. What did Hutton say about the beginning and end of the Earth?
4. a. What theory is Alfred Wegener known for?
b. What is the evidence for this theory? (4 things)
5. a. What does "Pangea" mean?
b. What and when was Pangea?
6. a. How long is the chain of sea floor mountains that stretches around the globe?
b. What is present at the center of this range?
c. How old are the rocks on the sea floor?
d. What percentage of Earth's history is missing from the sea floor?
7. What idea did Harry Hess propose to explain new findings about the sea floor?
8. a. What did Cox and Dalrymple study in Owens Valley, California?
b. They established a time scale for reversals. How many reversals were found in 4 million years?
9. a. What do magnetometers reveal about the sea floor?
b. What do the strange patterns on the sea floor mean?
10. Is the sea floor older or younger away from the mid-ocean ridge?
11. What is the spreading rate of the sea floor?
12. What are pillow lavas (and where do they form)?
13. What is the lithosphere? How thick is it?
14. Where do deeper earthquakes occur? At mid-ocean ridges or at subduction zones?
15. What are the four types of plate movement referred to in the movie?
16. a. How deep are the ocean trenches around the Pacific?
b. What happens in these trenches?
17. a. When did India collide with Asia?
b. What happens in China as a result of this collision?
18. a. When did the great San Francisco earthquake occur?
b. How far did the Earth move?
19. What type of plate boundary is the San Andreas fault?
20. What is the heat source that drives convection?
21. Hawaii is thousands of miles from a plate margin, but it is volcanic. Explain.
22. What is a hot spot?
23. In which direction is the Pacific Plate drifting as it crosses the hot spot?
24. What (and where) are the Emperor Sea Mounts?
25. The largest earthquake in American history was 20 times greater than the San Francisco earthquake of 1906. Where and when was it?
26. Are the faults in the New Madrid area still active?
27. What causes earthquakes so far from plate boundaries?
28. a. What are radiolaria?
b. What can they tell us?
29. a. What are exotic terranes?
b. How much has the North American continent grown through the addition of these terranes?
c. Coral atolls are found atop mountains in Alaska. What are atolls?
30. Where was Africa once located?
Return to Georgia Geoscience Online
This page created by
Dr. Pamela J. W. Gore,
Georgia Perimeter College, Clarkston, GA
Created January 21, 1998.
Modified September 9, 1998.
Modified January 19, 2000.