BIOL 1611 – Anatomy & Physiology I
HOMEWORK SHEET – Tissues
- Which of the following is not found in the matrix of
cartilage but is in bone?
- Live cells
- Blood vessels
- Organic fibers
- The presence of lacunae, calcium salts, and blood
vessels would indicate:
- Cartilage tissue.
- Fibrocartilaginous tissue.
- Osseous tissue.
- Areolar tissue.
- Epithelial tissue:
- Is highly vascularized.
- Has a basement membrane.
- Is usually acellular.
- Contains a number of neuron types.
- Which of the following would be of most importance to
goblet cells and other glandular epithelium?
- Golgi bodies
- Multiple nuclei
- Matrix is:
- Cells and fibers.
- Fibers and ground substance.
- Ground substance and cells.
- Composed of all organic compounds.
- The fiber type that gives connective tissue great
tensile strength is:
- Elastic fiber.
- Collagen fiber.
- Reticular fiber.
- Muscle fiber.
- Which of the following is true about epithelia?
- Simple epithelia are commonly found in areas of high
- Stratified epithelia are associated with filtration.
- Endothelium provides a slick surface lining all hollow
- Pseudostratified epithelia are commonly keratinized.
- Are mature cartilage cells located in spaces called
- Within the cartilage divide and secrete new matrix.
- Located deep to the perichondrium divide and secrete
new matrix on the internal portions.
- Never lose their ability to divide.
- Which of these is not considered connective tissue?
- The first step in tissue repair involves:
- Replacement of destroyed tissue by the same kind of
- Proliferation of fibrous connective tissue.
- Formation of granulation tissue.
- Formation of scar tissue.
- Select the correct statement regarding adipose tissue.
- It is composed mostly of extracellular matrix.
- Its primary function is nutrient storage.
- Mature adipose cells are highly mitotic.
- Most of the cell volume is occupied by the nucleus.
- ____ are commonly found wedged between simple columnar
- Goblet cells
- Mast cells
- The shape of the external ear is maintained by:
- Adipose tissue.
- Elastic cartilage.
- Hyaline cartilage.
- Cell types likely to be seen in areolar connective
tissue include all except:
- Mast cells.
- Smooth muscle cells possess central nuclei but lack
- Intercalated discs and striations suggest the presence
of skeletal muscle.
- Achilles was wounded by damage to the tendon connecting
his calf muscles to his heel. This and all tendons are composed mainly of
dense irregular connective tissue.
- The basic difference between dense irregular and dense
regular connective tissues is in the amount of elastic fibers and adipose
- Blood is considered a type of connective tissue.
- Simple cuboidal epithelia are usually associated with
secretion and absorption.